The following are a collection of articles, videos, books, and movies that are the first step in seeing beyond the reality that the dominant culture believes is the only reality. We must open our eyes to the totality of what is happening around us in order to find the courage to work for a just society for every single person. It asks us to change – so that the world might.
- Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in an Age of Colorblindness
- Maya Schenwar, Locked Down, Locked Out: Why Prison Doesn’t Work and How We Can Do Better
- Nell Bernstein, Burning Down the House: The End of Juvenile Prison
- Bryan Stevenson, Just Mercies: A Story of Justice and Redemption
- Shaka Senghor, Writing My Wrongs: Life, Death, and Redemption in an American Prison
If the very real inequities are to change, if we are to live fully into our principles up-holding the worth and dignity of every person and our belief in the interdependent web of existence, we must change –